Adventures in Dog Sitting #SOL17


We are absolutely, positively, not getting a dog. So don't even think it.

We spent the weekend dog sitting my brother-in-law's chow chow, Rylee. My children, Alex and Megan, were beyond excited to be dog sitters, since they beg me quite often to get a dog. My son even wrote a letter to the Easter Bunny, hidden in a plastic egg, asking for a dog. It's enough to break your heart and break down your resolve to NOT get a dog.....well almost enough. Not quite enough. Because we cannot get a dog. 

A dog is a big responsibility and a big expense. A dog needs time and attention- both of which I am short on. It's hard enough to give my children the attention they deserve- how will I have anything left over for a dog? So no, no dog.

But there have been moments where I felt myself soften ever the slightest. When Megan came out of the shower and we opened the bathroom door to find Rylee waiting outside, looking for us.....well that was kind of cute. The way she follows me when I walk from room to room....rather sweet. Her fur is so soft and she has the cutest triangle ears. But no. No dog. 

When I was younger, I begged my parents for a dog. I envisioned a little dog with a red bow on his head, under my Christmas tree. I yearned for a dog. But now, all these years later, I see why my parents never relented. A dog is a big responsibility, a lot of time, a lot of money, and a lot of work. 

We are absolutely, positively not getting a dog.....I think. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#SOL16 Lesson From Piper

A Working Mom's "I am" Poem #sol15 Day 16

#SOL16 Ditch the Dojo?