#SOL17 This is the Summer

This is the summer he lost a tooth.

This is the summer she (mostly) learned how to dress herself.

This is the summer he jumped off the diving board, treading water 11 feet deep.

This is the summer she stopped holding onto me in the pool and dipped her head under water, coming up spitting out water, blinking, but proud.

This is the summer he started holding doors open for people.

This is the summer she wanted to paint rocks.

This is the summer he flings his camp bag over his shoulder and walks in by himself.

This is the summer I still need to bring her stroller when she's tired.

This is the summer he is tall enough for the water slide at the pool.

This is the summer she wants me to braid all her dollies hair. 

This is the summer he pours his own bowl of Cheerios.

This is the summer she plays school and is the teacher. 

This is the summer I've caught a glimpse of how fast it all goes, 
how they need me less each day,
yet still need me after all.
This is the summer I'm making time to snuggle while watching movies,
to (mostly) put my work aside,
to notice their eyelashes resting on their cheeks as they sleep,
to hug whenever they will let me. 

  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#SOL16 Lesson From Piper

A Working Mom's "I am" Poem #sol15 Day 16

#SOL16 Ditch the Dojo?