38 Lessons #SOL17

On Thursday, I will turn 38 years old. Wait- wasn't I just regular 8 years old? It feels like not so long ago that I was 18 years old, graduating high school- but the truth is, that was 20 years ago! Oh, how the years have flown! I know better than to complain because every day is a gift, and 38 years of them is a blessing. 

I've been thinking about the lessons I've learned in these (almost) 38 years. Many apply to the classroom and all apply to life. So here are 38 lessons I've learned. (Thank you to the writers and philosophers I've borrowed from here...)

1. Don't look back. 

But....

2. The unexamined life is not worth living- always reflect on where you've been as you plan to move forward.

3. Your character is your destiny.

4. Trust your instincts.

5. "To thine own self, be true" means, among other things, that I am just not built to wear high heels and I've made my peace with it.

6. Life isn't fair and the good guys don't always win, but you need to keep doing good, no matter what.

7. I can forgive a lot more than I ever thought I could.

8. There is no tired like a kindergarten teacher on the first day of school.

9. Reading often and widely makes you a better person.

10. Name-calling is mean.

11. Second helpings often lead to regrets.

12. Show up.

13. I will never have it all figured out.

14. My best times are when I'm encouraging someone on.

15. If I don't recognize the phone number, I'm not picking up (It's always a telemarketer.)

16.  I need to drink more water. 

17. Life will keep presenting you the lessons you need to learn. 

18. Words have power and words matter. 

19. It takes a village to raise a child. Ask for help. 

20. There is no "there"- always more to learn and achieve. 

21. Like Mr. Roger's mother said, "Look for the helpers." Try to be one of the helpers.

22. You get out what you put in. 

23. Being busy is not a badge of honor.

24. Learn from others who pursue excellence instead of feeling inferior or jealous.

25. You can learn something from everyone.

26. When faced with being right or being kind, be kind.

27. Relationships matter most.

28. Moment to moment choices over time lead to change.

29. Some days are Alexander days- "terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad" days but like Annie said, "The sun will come out tomorrow."

30. Songs can live in your memory far longer than facts.

31. Being part of a writing community makes me a better, more accountable writer and is good for my soul.

32. Self-directed learning leads to agency, reflection, and ultimately deeper understanding.

33. You can't fight curly hair.

34. Show gratitude often.

35. I still have so much to learn.

36. Each season in life has its beauty.

37. Hugs help.

38. "Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes, it's a quiet voice that says, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" -Mary Anne Radmacher.

What is one lesson that resonates with you? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#SOL16 Lesson From Piper

A Working Mom's "I am" Poem #sol15 Day 16

#SOL16 Ditch the Dojo?