The Thing About Corn Mazes #SOL15


I found myself in a corn maze on Sunday.  We went pumpkin picking to a farm out east on Long Island and after the pumpkins were picked, my kids and their cousins wanted to do the corn maze. Never a big fan, but not wanting to be the party pooper, I agreed and we ventured inside.

As the autumn sun warmed the morning chill in the air, my 2 1/2 year old daughter decided I needed to hold her as I navigated the ropey vines and stones in my path.  The path twisted and turned and corn was all I could see as I trudged with Megan through the maze. My son, nieces, and sister-in-law were up ahead, and my niece would wait until I got closer before moving on so we didn't get separated. Holding Megan, it was hard to keep up with the group. When my niece joyfully announced she could see the light at the end of the maze, I was filled with relief. 

Life, of late, has been a lot like a corn maze.  I've found myself in the middle of a confusing and upsetting situation with no clear path out.  It feels scary and I feel lost.  Worried. Anxious. Uncertain what direction will be the right one. Stuck.

But here's the thing about corn mazes: There is always a way out. There is light at the end if you keep walking through.  Wrong turns will happen but you just get back on the path and try another direction.  There are people walking ahead of you.  People who've made it through the corn maze and their stories of surviving it will strengthen you as you figure your own way out.  I am so grateful to the people who have helped me see that the maze can be navigated, the ones supporting me as I struggle to find the way. 

Sometimes, even when you really don't want to go through the corn maze, life plucks you inside one.  I'm in one now but I won't be forever. There's light and I will keep walking until I find the way out.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#SOL16 Lesson From Piper

A Working Mom's "I am" Poem #sol15 Day 16

#SOL16 Ditch the Dojo?