#MustReadin2019


I've always loved to read. Walking into a library, I feel like I'm home. Visiting a book store, I can't believe all the possibilities waiting for me.  Reading has always been such a big part of my life and it's where my heart is as a teacher first and now a mom. But this past year, I didn't read all that much, unless you count scrolling through my phone. Social media has become a mindless pastime. And the more I scroll, the less I read real books. 

One of my goals for 2019 is to rediscover my love of reading by making time to read actual books. I am deeply appreciative of Carrie Gelson, who is such a reading inspiration and has put together the #MustReadin2019 community. Visit Carrie at her site, There's a Book for That, to learn more about setting your own reading goals in 2019. 

To make my goals, I'm starting first with the books I've bought and haven't read yet. There are many, sitting on my shelf, waiting for me to pick them up. I've also asked friends for recommendations. Some books are geared for children (middle grade novels/ YA books) and others are meant for adults. Some are just for fun, some are to improve my teaching, and others are to inspire my life. 

Here are the books I plan to read in 2019:

High Performance Habits by Brendon Burchard
Girl, Stop Apologizing by Rachel Hollis (publishing in March)
Party Girl by Rachel Hollis
This Life I Live by Rory Feek 
Open a World of Possible edited by Lois Bridges 
Lions and Liars by Kate Beastly 
A Tangle of Knots by Lisa Graff 
Writers are Readers by Lester Laminack and Reba Wadsworth
The Writing Teacher's Companion by Ralph Fletcher 
When In Doubt, Add Butter by Beth Harbison
Daring Greatly by Brene Brown
The Perfect Couple by Elin Hildebrand
UnSelfie: Why Empathetic Kids Succeed in Our All-About-Me World by Michelle Borba 
The Wild Robot Escapes by Peter Browne 
The Prince and the Dressmaker by Jen Wang 
In Sight of Stars by Gae Polisner 
Breakout by Kate Messner
Harbor Me by Jacqueline Woodson
The Benefits of Being an Octopus by Ann Braden
Front Desk by Kelly Yang
Bridget Jones- Mad About the Boy by Helen Fielding 
One of Us is Lying by Karen McManus
This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper 
Pie by Sarah Weeks 

24 books feels like a reasonable goal....2 books a month. 
What books are you hoping to read this year? 






Comments

  1. We have a few similar titles Kathleen! I loved In Sight of Stars, Breakout and Front Desk. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have few titles that you have, Kathleen, will note yours to add to my "second" list, so much for reasonable goals, ha! Like Carrie I enjoyed In Sight of Starts & Breakout, also Harbor Me. And my older granddaughter & I read both the robot books. That second one was quite satisfying! Happy Reading this new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Writing Teacher's Companion is a book I've had and wanted to read for a while. I should have put it on my list! I love some of the middle grade novels on your list like Breakout and Front Desk. Happy reading and happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harbor Me and Front Desk were two I really loved in 2018. I have Breakout on my list for this year also. I don't have it on my list, but I think I'm going to need to read The Benefits of Being an Octopus. It looks good. Have a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have some of the same books on my list this year. The ones on your list that I have read promise that you will have a delightful reading life in 2019!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you scheduled in 2 per month, Kathleen. I need to take notes on how to do this next year (since this is my first time to participate). I'm interested in looking lup UnSelfie: Why Empathetic Kids Succeed in Our All-About-Me World -- completely new title to me and sounds great! I also have Breakout on my list and have VERY MUCH enjoyed several that you'll get to this year. I'll look forward to seeing future updates! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, UnSelfie is very good. I used the first chapter to guide one of my classes once. But now I can't remember if I read the whole thing or not.

    The Prince and the Dressmaker is a delight. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#SOL16 Lesson From Piper

A Working Mom's "I am" Poem #sol15 Day 16

#SOL16 Ditch the Dojo?