Day 3 Unless... #SOL17

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better...
It's not."
-The Lorax, Dr. Seuss 

The Lorax is a dear old friend of mine. 16 years ago, it was The Lorax I read during a demonstration lesson at the school where I work, the lesson that got me my first teaching job. That first year of teaching, The Lorax inspired a project on sustainable development with my 6th grade Science students. 

In my third grade classroom, a large poster rests against a chalkboard with the quote, "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better...it's not." This quote from The Lorax might sum up my personal philosophy of education better than anything else. 

It's easy to pass the buck, to blame someone else, to say "It's not my fault!" or "It's not my job!" It's harder to do the work, to care, to take on the extra projects. But if not us, who? If not not, when? 

In a world full of blamers and doubters, liars and cheats, it's easy to get discouraged and feel hopeless. 

How to counteract that? Do. Try. Be. Give. Care. Show up. Work. Go further. 

The Lorax is still my go-to guy and his words ring true more than ever. 

In honor of Dr. Seuss' birthday, I will be the Lorax and keep on caring a whole awful lot. 

Updated: My fabulous student dressed as the Lorax today for our school's Dr. Seuss Day. He made me my own Truffala Tree. It is already a treasure!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#SOL16 Lesson From Piper

A Working Mom's "I am" Poem #sol15 Day 16

#SOL16 Ditch the Dojo?