#SOL18 Day 1: Why I'm Here

The first day of the March SOLSC feels like the first day of school! Now that I've done the challenge for a few years, it reminds me of returning to school when you've been a student there for a while- you look for the familiar faces, happy to be back together after a long break. There are always new friends to be made, so welcome to all the New Slicers among us!

My very first post in my first March SOLSC was a Where I'm From poem, inspired by George Ella Lyon. The other day, I stumbled upon Elizabeth Steinglass blog, where she had written a poem entitled "Why I'm Here" for Poetry Friday. It seemed like the perfect way to begin the challenge, so here is my own version. 

Why I'm Here 

(As a mom)
I'm here to find the missing
stuffed animal flavor of the day,
often stuffed in couch cushions
or left in plain sight.
I'm here to pour juice into sippy cups
and type in the code to the computer.
I'm here to read bedtime stories
and answer unanswerable questions
about life and death.
I'm here to snuggle.
I'm here to absorb the anger 
that needs to be directed somewhere.
I'm here to fix hair, real and doll's hair.
I'm here to bake cupcakes and order pizza.
I'm here to cheer at soccer and baseball games.
I'm here to bring flowers to dance recitals.
I'm here to be the soft place to land
to say mistakes are okay.
I'm here so they know they are always loved.

(As a teacher)
I'm here to give a smile and welcome
to my students as they file in.
I'm here to help them feel safe
to help them feel they belong.
I'm here to show them the latest book
I read and invite them to borrow it.
I'm here to fill their classroom with poetry
With biographies of those who dared to 
make a difference in the world,
with mysteries and joke books and 
books about anything they wonder.
I'm here to read them beautiful picture books
and chapter books that take them on a journey.
I'm here to assure them they have stories
and their stories matter.
I'm here to teach them how to put their words
together in writing to cheer up a friend,
challenge a congressperson, 
thank a person who was kind to them. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#SOL16 Lesson From Piper

A Working Mom's "I am" Poem #sol15 Day 16

#SOL16 Ditch the Dojo?