"Decowations" #sol15 Day 21

Write, Share, Give
     On the first night of spring, as the snowflakes persistently fell, I pulled out our Easter decorations.  From October to April, there is always something to decorate for and anticipate: Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, Easter.  From April to September, there is nothing to hang in the window, no turkeys or leprechauns, hearts or bunnies to remind you a holiday is coming. This is it for decorating for a while, but I happen to love my Easter decorations and it is always like visiting a favorite friend I haven't seen in ages when I open up the box where the bunnies and baskets live the rest of the year.  There's the Lenox Easter basket that, in pale shades of pink,blue and green that I registered for as one of my wedding gifts.  There's the Winnie the Pooh I bought when I was pregnant with Alex, months before he would even appear.  There's the Easter egg electric candlesticks my Grandmother gave me one year, one of her QVC purchases, that makes me smile and appreciate how she is always so thoughtful.  And there are the multi-colored pictures of bunnies and eggs to tape up in the window. 

     This year, I asked my 4 year old son  Alex to help me. I asked him because he always gets very excited about "decowations" and at this point in his life, he loves to help me put them up.  He'd been lounging on the couch on the iPad, because it was Friday  night and we were too exhausted to remind him to do something more active. It was easily going on an hour of staring at it, so I asked him to take a break and come stand on our window sill and tape up the Easter pictures.  He loves tape, although it is kind of a struggle for him to effectively rip off a piece.  As we worked to hang the decorations, his a little lopsided and crooked, we talked.  He was confused and thought that the Easter bunny was coming tonight since we were decorating.  He wanted to know who was coming to his house for the party.  I had to explain that it wasn't Easter yet and we might go to other people's houses for Easter celebrations this year.  Alex told me he likes it better when people come to his house because his house " is the coziest" and "I like the snacks at my house."

     As we finished up, I asked him to put Minnie and Mickey in the window.  He said, "They should kiss!" and posed them so they were smooching.  Then he ran off to go back to the iPad.  

As I type this, I realize a reader might think, "So what?" I try to remind my students they need to have a "so what" in their writing- what is the meaning and message behind the story you told? What is it that the reader might relate to, what is the heart of the story? In this story, it's that Alex is 4 now which is a very precious age.  He has some baby features about him, but there is a maturity now too and a level of sophistication to his thought process that wasn't present before.  I know, in a few years, he is not going to hang Easter eggs up in the window with me or be excited about "decowations."  He'll say the word correctly and probably won't care if they are hung or not.  He'll be rushing off to a friend's house or to watch a game.  All the time for myself I am constantly missing at this stage of my life will come rushing back, but I will feel the sting and absence of spending less time with him.  We are always wishing for something else and end up missing the gifts before us. 

Last night, I could have done the piles of laundry, worked on updating my resume, started the new books I've bought, begun the report cards.  I could have done all of this as Alex quietly played on the iPad.  I'm glad I didn't.  I'm glad I chose to put up the decorations that add cheer to my days, remind me of happy times and people I love, and I'm glad I enlisted Alex to help.  In my memory now and forever, I see snowflakes falling on the first night of spring and my four year old son telling me his house is the "coziest" and innocently giving Mickie and Minnie a loving moment.  The "to-do" list is endless, but as another slicer, Clare from Teachers for Teachers  wrote in her slice on Monday "It is the small moments that matter."

Comments

  1. It is the small moments that matter and as a mom of adult kids I promise you the time rushes by, You made the right choice, Your home does sound like the coziest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is the small moments that matter and as a mom of adult kids I promise you the time rushes by, You made the right choice, Your home does sound like the coziest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true: "All the time for myself I am constantly missing at this stage of my life will come rushing back..." I like how you painted the scene and then stepped out of it to explore your thinking. This was a lovely way to capture this small moment so that it does not fade as he gets older. I am learning the "scrapbook" effect of my own blog through this experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you chose to "decowate" and share these moments with us. Makes a heart smile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's our noticing these small matters that transform them from things that happen in a day to art. You had me as soon as you wrote, "decowations."

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's our noticing these small matters that transform them from things that happen in a day to art. You had me as soon as you wrote, "decowations."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Taking time for decorating sounds like time well spent. Enjoy the "decowations" with your son and the memories to savor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Taking time for decorating sounds like time well spent. Enjoy the "decowations" with your son and the memories to savor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Taking time for decorating sounds like time well spent. Enjoy the "decowations" with your son and the memories to savor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome slice and great "so what". I've never been a huge decoration person except for Christmas but totally understand how opening the "box" is the best part! Cute decorations by the way :-).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't decorating fun. I love how you included your son. It's definitely the small things.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We know when those moments are magic, no matter how ordinary. Those stages, each are to be lived and noted. I know....I often think, someday I will miss this.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. We know when those moments are magic, no matter how ordinary. Those stages, each are to be lived and noted. I know....I often think, someday I will miss this.....

    ReplyDelete
  15. When I was younger, I used to love decorating the home for the holidays with my mom. My daughters used to love the same. This post makes me look forward to the days when our daughters will share similar traditions with their own families.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not to worry...my 33-year-old son still loves to decorate, especially at Christmas. In his busy life he somehow makes the time to come to LI from Brooklyn for the sole purpose of getting the house ready for Christmas. In recent years as I've gotten older and lazier, I've thought about cutting back on the decorations. No way! Every year all the decorations must go up, sometimes with new variations, until he is happy with the result. So you may be creating your own decorating monster and not realize it yet.
    As usual, you created a beautiful story which is what this blogging challenge is all about.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#SOL16 Lesson From Piper

A Working Mom's "I am" Poem #sol15 Day 16

#SOL16 Ditch the Dojo?