To Worksheet or Not to Worksheet: Is it really a question? #sol15 Day 3


     I've been sleeping for a few hours before I woke up to type this.  It seems the middle of the night is the only time I get, sometimes, to return an email, write a blog, prepare my lessons.  After working with my third graders all day and then coming home to be Mommy for Alex (4) and Megan (almost 2!), by the time their bedtime rolls around it is most definitely my bedtime too.  My mind is fuzzy and my eyes are tired and I can't think of doing more work, even though I carried home two bulging bags begging to be opened, everything in there important and something that needs my attention.  I sleep a little, but I wake with a racing mind, remembering all there is to do, and I quietly make my way downstairs to attempt to do some of it. 
     When this post is finished, I will turn my attention to Mexico.  This is our current unit in Social Studies, leading up to a class trip to a local Mexican restaurant.  To be honest, Social Studies and Science are kind of the ugly stepsisters in our curriculum as the focus is always on English Language Arts and Math.  I have about 4 different things to prepare for ELA, including Fundations lessons, module lessons, small group lessons, independent reading check-ins and Math is no slouch with concept development lessons, sprints, and problem solving. I am sorry to say Social Studies and Science are often afterthoughts because there are only so many hours in the day and so much a teacher can plan as there are other teaching tasks including parent phone calls, checking and evaluating work, creating anchor charts, updating hallway displays, meetings, etc.  requiring attention, too.  
     So back to Mexico.  It would be a lot easier to give out some worksheets on culture, geography, the flag, the food and feel that I have "covered" my curriculum.  It would absolutely help me to get a little more sleep. Yet.....a project is calling my name.  A teacher friend recently shared how she has her students work in stations when they study a topic.  It gets them up and moving and creating and makes the learning come alive.  As she described her stations, I thought how I could do this for my Mexico unit.  The students could learn about Mexican food and prepare their own menu.  They could read about Mexican language and make a little English to Spanish dictionary.   Maybe create a travel brochure or a postcard for special places to visit in Mexico.  It sounded FUN, something that sadly I feel is often lacking in other areas of my day with the third grade.  
    My fondest memories of school always go back to the projects.  The pine cone turkeys we made and the diorama houses we created for them, the journals we wrote about our turkeys adventures.  The newspaper I made with a group of friends about the Roman era, including the horoscopes and recipes we wrote. The totem poles constructed out of coffee cans.  I can't remember a single worksheet but I remember these projects still, over 25 years later.  
   Mind made up, coffee made, I decide sleep can wait a little and the worksheets can sit on their sad little stack.  My third graders need to learn about Mexico and I am going to find hands-on, creative ways for them to do it. Adios! 








Comments

  1. I love your thinking. Those are the things I remember as a student as well...the projects and collaborative learning. Those are the things that stick with our learners. Those are the things we NEED to make time to plan. Thanks for the reminder that hands-on learning opportunities need to be at the forefront of our planning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the unexpectedness of going to Mexico in the middle of the night. Your students are lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your middle of the night thinking. You are so right about the need for hands-on project based, creative, thinking-based learning. That is the REAL stuff of school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a reminder (for me) of ALL the work that classroom teachers must do each week. It's mind-boggling.

    Good for you for not taking the easy way out. Your kids will appreciate all this work. They'll remember learning about Mexico. And they'll remember you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yep, the plays, the puppets, the food, the song...sadly we have to go all undercover with it now- it makes me sad too. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen --- we learn by doing. No one says they were inspired to change the world by completing a worksheet. I applaud your efforts to make learning real and to make learning fun. I heard Joy Cowley speak a few weeks ago and she made the point that learning is always attached to pleasure. So true. But, sometimes pleasure is made to sound cheap and unimportant. It's not --- it's called authentic engagement (and high-level thinking). Because the topic matters. Your kiddos will love Mexico! And, PS --- I have little kids too and find myself getting up in the middle of the night to do school work. Do you think 10 years ago we would've thought that was a viable plan??? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen --- we learn by doing. No one says they were inspired to change the world by completing a worksheet. I applaud your efforts to make learning real and to make learning fun. I heard Joy Cowley speak a few weeks ago and she made the point that learning is always attached to pleasure. So true. But, sometimes pleasure is made to sound cheap and unimportant. It's not --- it's called authentic engagement (and high-level thinking). Because the topic matters. Your kiddos will love Mexico! And, PS --- I have little kids too and find myself getting up in the middle of the night to do school work. Do you think 10 years ago we would've thought that was a viable plan??? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathy,
    I wish we lived closer so I could give you my Mexico stuff to use for your unit. I hate the fact that you are getting so little sleep. I love the fact that you still believe in hands-on learning. Good luck with your unit. I don't need to wish you good luck with your teaching...you're the BEST!
    https://twowritingteachers.wordpress.com/2015/03/03/sol15-day3

    ReplyDelete
  9. This goes to show that a teacher's work is never done! Your students are very lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#SOL16 Lesson From Piper

A Working Mom's "I am" Poem #sol15 Day 16

#SOL16 Ditch the Dojo?