James on the Saddle, Wendy and the Candlesticks #sol15 Day 17


     I had a moment last week where I laughed so hard I was crying.  It came at a rather inopportune time, as I was dictating sentences for the students to write down during a Fundations (word study)review.  The sentences are written in the teacher's edition and you are supposed to read them and the students write them- a fairly straightforward endeavor.  Except the first sentence I read involved James getting riding instruction on a saddle and the kids were befuddled.  
     "What type of instruction- writing?" 
     "Why is he on a saddle?" 
     "What is a saddle?"
    By the time I was done with the James saddle sentence, it was time to read the one about Wendy.  The sentence I was to dictate said: "At the explosion, Wendy dropped the beautiful candlesticks." I could not even read it for laughing so hard.  I suppose it is not very funny that Wendy was at an explosion, but I kept thinking she had bigger worries than dropping her beautiful candlesticks.  They waited for me to stop laughing but they were laughing too as I kept attempting to dictate the sentence, only to collapse in giggles again.  After multiple tries, I read the sentence.
    What's funny now, is that the kids keep bringing up Wendy and her candlesticks.  I was reading a story to them that made mention of an explosion, and one of my clever kids said, "I hope Wendy held onto her candlesticks."  They find ways to weave Wendy into the conversation, and even work back to James and his saddle.  It is funny and brings some comic relief to the serious business we are mostly engaged in during the day.  
   I was thinking about challenging the class to write Wendy's story, explaining how she came to be holding beautiful candlesticks near an explosion.  I think it would be interesting to see all the different stories that could develop from that one ridiculous dictated sentence.  It feels so good to laugh in the classroom and it so much fun when we are all in on the same joke together, building our community with camaraderie.  

Comments

  1. Oh please do share some snippets of your kids Wendy and her candlesticks stories. Writing about that is a great idea! I enjoyed your little slice here. Thanks for reminding us about the magical powers of laughter in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh please do share some snippets of your kids Wendy and her candlesticks stories. Writing about that is a great idea! I enjoyed your little slice here. Thanks for reminding us about the magical powers of laughter in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun slice! That is a memory that the kids will keep for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that shared memory ... it might be one of those phrases (Wendy and the Candlesticks) that makes it way into a yearbook some day ...
    ;)
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have to share laughs to really have a community! What a great slice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have to share laughs to really have a community! What a great slice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I nearly spit my coffee out…. great craft in your writing. Love what you wrote and how you wrote it. These small moments make learning fun and real!
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  8. By laughing so heartily yourself, you gave your students permission to join in laughter with you. It must have been such a relief for you to let that out and for them to see you so engaged and happy! They are so clever, too, aren't they? In my family we are constantly recycling old, funny moments, a joke we all share and sometimes revising the details to fit the occasion. For some reason, those are our best moments! Good for you for breaking out of the script to share some imaginative "close reading."
    https://barbarasut.wordpress.com/2015/03/17/a-one-of-a-kind-dinner-party

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post has me smiling... love the thought of everyone laughing like that. I try to bring humor into my classes whenever I can - learning should be fun! I'm all for the idea of having them write Wendy's story... I've had my high school kids write things like that, and the results are usually hysterically funny!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love moments like this - you will always remember this one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laughter is the best medicine! It just seems to take us back to the reality that we are dealing with kids and they love to have a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's just nothing like side-splitting, laughing-till-your-belly-hurts laughter. I need some of that right about now!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#SOL16 Lesson From Piper

A Working Mom's "I am" Poem #sol15 Day 16

#SOL16 Ditch the Dojo?