News in New York #sol15 Day 30

News this morning in New York 
Budget deals emerge
"Governor Cuomo
wreaking vengeance"
Diane Ravitch writes. 
Elected officials
making decisions
not qualified to make.
Tests to decide
the effective teacher
and the ineffective one.
Heart sinks.

What else can I do?
I'm a teacher.
I was born to teach.
It's all I've hoped to be.
If I am found ineffective
due to independent evaluators
who don't know me
don't know my heart
my experience
my work ethic
my continual search
to be better
where will I go?


If test scores
are the focus
and my job is
on the line,
is it a job
I really want 
to do anymore?
When my family
depends on me,
will I need
to play the game?
To get my paycheck?
To pay our mortgage?

How will I face
the young faces
in front of me
who are more 
than any test 
will ever say?

Sadness today 
in New York
Our letters
our phone calls
our pleas
 in the end
didn't matter.
Money wins
again.

Tomorrow
I take down 
my charts
their name tags
anything that 
could be helpful
on "the test."
Weeks lost
to make Pearson
billions
and tell me nothing
I don't already know.
Weeks lost
to prove accountability 
to elected officials
who never seem
to be accountable
to anyone. 


Comments

  1. Gut wrenching - especially that last line. I wish I had some salve to offer other than to continue to do what you know to be best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gut wrenching - especially that last line. I wish I had some salve to offer other than to continue to do what you know to be best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so very, very sorry. It is a knife to the heart of the profession, scapegoating teachers for the ills of society--when will they figure out that until this country values children with support and funding for basic needs, pouring money into testing will account for nothing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sad. How many decades of testing it will take for someone to realize that testing does not teach anyone? That testing does not prepare future citizens who have creative ideas? People who can invent the next technological amazement?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrible! I wonder, are private school teachers facing the same evaluations, or just those in public schools?

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sad. You have to wonder when NYS will ever get their priorities straight. Hopefully soon because our students are the ones who are suffering. I know it is hard, but we need to go into our classrooms and do right by the children and not let a test dictate who we are as teachers. You are not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sad. You have to wonder when NYS will get their priorities straight. Hopefully soon because the children are the ones being hurt. We have to go into our classrooms and do right by our children and not let a test dictate who we are as teachers. I know it is hard but you are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The end of this poem packs a punch!!! I have no words. Thank you for writing about it so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have brought me to tears. Your scores do not define you as a teacher - that I know for sure. As others have said, we have to do what is right for every child in our midst. We are the ones they depend on to provide a foundation for life long learning. I am confident that in time, this ship that has turned sideways will be righted. There is no other option for children and teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my. My best thoughts are with you and your teachers in New York. This is such eloquent writing. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope that things can be straightened out in your topsy-turvy world. You wrote with such love for teaching, no test for that! Best wishes to those of you facing this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your poem brought tears to my eyes. You express yourself so eloquently in this piece. All I can say is don't give up! Teachers need to continue to raise their voices and make themselves heard over the meaningless chatter of politicians.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a powerful piece. Unfortunately it is everywhere. You are not alone. And it is very sad. Your last line drives it home. Just...wow.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#SOL16 Lesson From Piper

A Working Mom's "I am" Poem #sol15 Day 16

#SOL16 Ditch the Dojo?