Would You Like to Swing on a Star? #sol15 Day 10


"Would you like to swing on a star?
Carry moon-beams home in a jar,
Or be better off than you are,
Or would you rather be a....."

(If you can't get that song out of your head now, or are feeling nostalgic, check out the song here:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWKXU0ApF08


     As a kid, I loved that song where you might rather be a fish or a mule until you realize that there are some not so nice things about being something else.  Yesterday I read Dev Petty's adorable book I Don't Want to be a Frog! to my third graders.  We are doing our "module work" (visit engageny if you still have the pleasure of not knowing what I am talking about) which is a nonfiction focus on frogs, rendering my students not the biggest fans of those amphibians.  So I thought the book would add a little levity, which it certainly did.  But it got me thinking......why do we so often wish we were someone else?

     Today I plan to read James Howe's beautiful book, I Wish I Were a Butterfly, same theme.  In this story, it is a cricket who is dreadfully unhappy being who he is.  Of course, the irony comes at the end when a butterfly flutters past, listening to the cricket play a song and thinks to herself, "I wish I was a cricket."
   
   My friends, the grass truly is always greener on the other side.  I still struggle with this from time to time.  I see the organized beauty of my colleagues' classrooms and think, why can't I keep my papers in better order and have such gorgeous charts? I see my sister rock an amazing shoe and think, why can't I make myself wear pretty heels? I see coaches and consultants walk with confidence into classrooms that are not their own and work with a group of children they aren't familiar with, and I think, why can't I have the confidence to be able to do that too? 

    But I am who I am, as Popeye might say.  I wore ballet flats on my wedding day (to my stiletto-wearing sister's horror) and danced the night away in comfort.  The heels would have made me miserable, and it was more worth it to me to be happy on  my wedding day than hobble along in pained beauty.  Try as I might, I can't keep a clean desk and the papers and ideas I have are many, the organization few.  I will keep working on this one, but I will understand it is more my nature to gather lots of ideas than to neatly sort the ones I already have.  While I am scared at the possibility of boldly charging into a classroom that is not mine and commanding attention, I do command attention in the room that is mine and it is a gift to get to know a group of students well, over time, day in and out.  

     Our students (and us) live in a culture where huge profits hinge on getting us to believe we could be better if we were like someone else.  That is the premise of advertising.  Life would be better if you were tanner, thinner, smarter, faster, richer, more famous, more like the Kardashians.  Through the literature we share with our students and the words we convey, I hope we can at least present the other side of the story: You are you and that is beautiful, just the way YOU are.  Butterflies are spectacular creatures in nature....but come to think of it, the crickets are too.  

   

Comments

  1. yep -- we are who we are ... I too wish I had beautiful charts on my walls. I don't.
    :)
    But we all bring our strengths to the table in different ways ...
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kevin! I agree that we are better when we share our strengths with each other. (Why I think merit pay is a terrible idea for teachers- we always help each other because the better we all are, the better all are students will be. And who would decide which strength is the one that deserves extra money? So silly.)

      Delete
  2. Kathleen,
    I so needed to hear your words today, what an important reminder. It made me think of the Oscar Wilde quote, "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
    Teresa (Your fellow idea collector and paper stacker)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that quote! Always nice to met a fellow idea collector/paper stacker!

      Delete
  3. What a thoughtful reflection. I think teachers are all prone to play the comparison game, and it's so nice to read that you are recognizing your strengths while leaving some room to work on what bothers you. Thanks from a fellow paper stacker :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree- it is hard not to compare yourself (and your classroom) to all the great teachers and their beautiful (organized) classrooms. In the end, the butterflies and the crickets all have something beautiful to offer the world!

      Delete
  4. I always love visiting your blog, Kathleen, and hearing your heartfelt thoughts about living the teaching life these days. I am glad that we still get to bring stories into out classrooms - there is hope there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That made my day, Tara! Thank you so much. New to blogging but finding it really rewarding and it's been helpful to express my thoughts and ideas here. So grateful to have found this writing community!!

      Delete
  5. I always love visiting your blog, Kathleen, and hearing your heartfelt thoughts about living the teaching life these days. I am glad that we still get to bring stories into out classrooms - there is hope there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wore jeans at my backyard barbecue wedding, much to the chagrin of my best friend who was hoping to plan some great fete. Walking to a different beat may not work with some one else's rhythm, but that does not stop it from being its own beautiful music. Excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How awesome! Your wedding sounds like a lot of fun and it sounds like it was exactly as you wanted it to be. I love what you said about walking to a different beat not working for someone else's rhythm....profound! Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  7. Such a great reminder for all...you are who you are and you are beautiful! Thanks for this thought today! I need to remind myself of this more often!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Robin! Glad it came at the right time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a thought provoking post. This lesson of being true to oneself is one that I try to live daily for my daughters. As for the organization gene... that is missing for me! I'm the literacy coach in my building, and my office is also our book room. I have a veneer of organization, one that fools most people most of the time, but right now that veneer is getting thinner by the day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#SOL16 Lesson From Piper

A Working Mom's "I am" Poem #sol15 Day 16

#SOL16 Ditch the Dojo?