Thankful Thursday: In Honor of Victoria Soto #sol15 Day 5


Thankful Thursday

In Honor of Victoria Soto


     During the month of March, the Farmingdale Federation of Teachers, to which I belong, is designating Thursdays as day to express gratitude publicly for teachers who have helped shape our lives.  We are doing this to help remind the community of the power of teachers to change lives, something that can get lost in the constant narrative of politicians and media who claim that schools are failing and that teachers are lazy and inept, needing merit pay and mass firings to light a spark under them and make them try harder.  
     On my own path to becoming a teacher, I have been so fortunate to have had teachers who inspired me, believed in me and encouraged me.  I am sure that I will be writing about those teachers who I personally have known in the Thursdays to come.  Today, I am taking the time to honor a teacher who I never knew, but continues to inspire me by her heroism and sacrifice.  Let's take a moment to remember Miss Victoria Soto, who was killed protecting her first grade students at the Sandy Hook Elementary School on December 14th, 2012.  
Victoria Soto
     Vicky Soto here looks so beautiful and vibrant, her class alive with the life cycle of butterflies and the soft pastels of spring.  The place mats on the table lead me to believe that this might have been a Mother's Day Tea celebration, something I often did in my kindergarten classroom.  I've seen other pictures where Vicky was helping her first graders celebrate the 100th day of school, something else I often did with my class. A creative and hard-working teacher, doing what teachers do each day in what should be the innocent and secure place that elementary schools always were, until that terrible day on December 12th. 
     The reports all say that Vicky hid her little first graders when the shots were being fired.  When the gunman came, she told him they weren't there.  Her bravery and self-sacrifice resulted in her death, but how courageous and spectacular to put her little students ahead of her own fears and her own natural desire for safety. 
    I think of Vicky often, though I never knew her.  We are not often called on to be heroes in such a big way, as Vicky was.  Yet her bravery and kindness push me to find ways to be a hero where I can be, to do more for the students who are suffering, in need, in pain.  When I get overwhelmed with all my "to-do's (and as a teacher, they are endless), I think of Vicky and work to set aside the negative feelings, to find the gratitude I have for being a teacher, such a truly important job in this crazy world.  
    Every profession has its "bad apples", but the teachers I know are the ones who are heroes each day, in quiet ways and not so quiet ways.  The teacher putting extra snacks in a student's backpack because he has no food at home.  The teacher bringing groceries to a family on the weekend because she was also worried the family had nothing.  The teacher who gives a student new supplies and fresh crayons and markers because that student loves to draw.  The teachers who entertained their students who were trapped overnight in school because a blizzard made it impossible for them to get home.  The teachers who protected their students when tornadoes swept through their schools.
   And teachers, like the beautiful Miss Victoria Soto, who put her life on the line for her students.  "There is no greater love than to set down your life for your friends," is a phrase I've heard and Vicky Soto showed great love for her students in her heroism and sacrifice.  
    Today, on Thankful Thursday where we pause to think of teachers who've made a difference, I honor Victoria Soto and the difference she made as a teacher.  In her honor, I will try harder to be a more patient teacher, a more giving teacher, a kinder teacher, more joyful, more present, less hurried, less worried, braver and better.  





Comments

  1. I have tears streaming down my cheeks as I finish this lovely tribute. Most of us will not be called to the ultimate sacrifice, but I do think we are called to remember and honor those who do - like Vicki Soto. Thank you for reminding us all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely tribute to a heroic woman!

    While we may not be called to demonstrate the same measure of heroism, teachers do function as heroic models daily. We help children to not only build a foundation for future success, but to find their passions, and use them to better the world. I'm really drawn to the idea of consistently sharing the stories of teachers, to change the distorted political narrative that suggests our abject failure. We often keep our heads down, avoiding the distracting criticisms, and teach. Ultimately, our stories need to be told, for the sake of the students we serve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry to say that I could not finish reading your post because I was simply overwhelmed by the senseless of the world we live in, where beautiful lives like those lost in Newtown and so many other places are less valued than our second amendment rights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a moving tribute to a special teacher - and to all teachers who nurture their students in the ways you described. Thoughtful piece - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Today we were all talking about Vicky Soto and her colleagues, mostly because we had a practice lockdown yesterday & while we're cheery with our students, when they are not around, we are not cheery. To even think about the seriousness of the lockdown is to consider what it could mean. What a wonderful tribute you have written. Thanks, Kathleen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely idea and practice...to "thank" a teacher. And what a lovely tribute you wrote. I agree that it's important that we do more to profile the details of our lives so that critics learn more about the bigger picture of what a teacher is and what he/she is expected to do as a teacher. I'd like to see this published somewhere, but I know how busy you are. Continue to be the amazing person/teacher you are!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops! Forgot to add my URL to the above entry.
    https://barbarasut.wordpress.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=31&action=edit&message=10

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a post! I'm sure you were just as emotional writing it as I was reading it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#SOL16 Lesson From Piper

A Working Mom's "I am" Poem #sol15 Day 16

#SOL16 Ditch the Dojo?